What is Mouse Poison?
Mice can be a serious problem for your house and property. One easy way to get rid of a mouse infestation is to use a poison that eradicates the nest and the potential mouse population.
Poison is a common solution to this problem, but you can’t just throw it down the way you would a poison for insects. It can have far-reaching consequences if you aren’t methodical about applications and ensuring safety. Here’s what you need to know about mouse poison that works and what is poisonous to mice.
How Does Mouse Poison Work?
You should always consult a professional when spreading poison around because you can cause a lot of damage to yourself or animals on your property. That said, mouse poison works in a few different ways. The most common type of poison is bait.
Bait poisons work by fooling mice into thinking that they’re eating food. They come along and nibble at the poison, which can start the process. Poison is in containers that are easy for the mouse to chew through, and sometimes the mouse brings food back to the nest.
The best mouse poisons can cause a variety of reactions, including causing internal bleeding and other huge issues. Baits are probably the most accessible types of poisons to get around, but they’re best for small populations. If you know that you’ve got a huge amount of mice around your property, this type of issue might be better left to a professional.
How Long Does Mouse Poison Take to Work?
In some cases, poisons for mice can take several applications. The longer you have poison around, the more likely it is to affect other animal populations around. Bait poisons are really meant as a supplement for different types of deterrents, such as traps. If you can get them into place, they could help cut down on populations.
Poisons typically kill only about half of the population as well, so you’ll want to consider other options. They could be reasonable short term solutions until you get the exterminator out or to handle one-off problems that you notice. Consider all your options carefully when handling mouse poison.
Is Poison Dangerous?
You’ll always want to wear gloves when setting out poison for mice. It can be dangerous for it to come in contact with your skin accidentally. Wash your hands thoroughly and avoid touching your eyes or mouth. Protecting your skin ensures that if something is broken in the package, you won’t accidentally cause any issues to yourself.
When placing poison for mouse, keep them out of plain sight. Curious children or dogs may decide to explore to see what these little packages are, and that can be very dangerous. It’s best to place them in covered areas where children and pets can reach. Underneath sinks, in closets, and other covered areas are a better bet than out in the open.
Calling a Professional
If you have large populations of mice or you suspect there is one, you may decide to call a professional to administer mouse poison. The amount you need to handle large populations can be very dangerous to your household, and a trained professional can ensure that poison is administered safely.
Poisons should be rated by the EPA, and a trained specialist can find the best spots to place poison to ensure minimal contact with pets and children as well as yourself. While you can find poison in ordinary stores, it could be a better idea to avoid the personal applications for your own safety.
Using Poison with Other Treatments
Sanitation can ensure that there aren’t many chances for mice to find a home in your space. Mice are attracted to food and warmth, which can cause you to have issues. If you handle your situation before it becomes an issue, you may never have to handle poison at all.
Simple live traps can provide relief from single mice and give you a safer way to handle the problem. Live traps won’t work for a full infestation, however, so make sure you consider all your options before handling anything poisonous.
In reality, poison should be your last resort when handling a mouse situation. The consequences can be severe if mishandled, so choose other options first.
Using Poison for Mice
Mice can be a big problem for your house and your land. Poison is certainly one option for you, but it does come with consequences. Poison is dangerous for both you and any animals you have in the house, so it can be a difficult thing to decide to use.
A professional is probably the best way to administer poison so that you minimize contact with it altogether. A professional can provide advice on how to prevent your mouse population and also handle anything that happens. Using poison for mice is a big decision, so think about it carefully.
All About Pests | Guides, Info, Images and Tips